Visitors to the School
Recognizing that the Lyme School Board, with the support and
cooperation of parents, legal guardians, community members
and staff, has the responsibility to
-Provide for the safety and well-being of all
-Maintain an educational environment which promotes teaching and
learning, where students, teachers, and instructional programs
are free of unnecessary distractions; and
-Provide parents, legal guardians, and community members reasonable
access to the school,
the School Board implements the following guidelines concerning
visitors to the Lyme School:
1. Posted signs instruct all visitors to enter
the school building through the main entrance.
1. During school hours, all visitors, other than parents or
legal guardians who are picking up or dropping off children,
shall sign in at the office.
2. No visitors shall contact students or teachers directly during
school hours. When necessary, office personnel will contact
students or teachers.
3. Parent-teacher meetings and conferences shall be scheduled
during non-instructional times.
4. Both custodial and non-custodial parents may schedule visits
to their child’s classes, unless a current court order
denying visitation rights to a parent is on file at the school.
5. Community members who are not parents or legal guardians
of school children may obtain permission from the principal
or his or her designee to visit the school while it is in session.
6. Teachers who plan to invite someone into the school as part
of an instructional program shall notify the principal in advance.
The visitor shall provide in advance for review by the teacher
and the principal any topics to be discussed and any information
and materials to be disseminated.
7. Visits to the school by representatives of the news media
or by other persons seeking to view, photograph, record, videotape,
or film students may be arranged only after consultation with
the principal and must be consistent with School Board policies
concerning interviewing, photographing, recording, or/and videotaping
8. The principal or his or her designee has the authority to
have removed from the building or grounds anyone whose presence
is inconsistent with this policy.
Warned: August 23, 2001
Approved: April 25, 2002