School Board Member Ethics
Each board member shall comply with the following:
1. Attend all regularly scheduled Board meetings, insofar
as possible, and become informed about issues to be considered
at those meetings.
2. Make decisions only after full discussion at public board
meetings; render all decisions based on available facts and
refuse to surrender independent judgment to individuals or
groups with special interests.
3. Seek communication with students, staff, and members of
the community (per policy BHC).
4. Recognize two important school board functions: 1) to provide
high quality public education to Lyme students in grades K
through 12 and 2) to maintain a balance between a commitment
to quality education and fiscal responsibility.
5. Work respectfully with other Board members to achieve the
educational goals of the school district by encouraging the
free expression of opinions by all Board members.
6. Communicate to other Board members and the Superintendent
expressions of public reaction to Board policies and school
7. Become informed about current educational issues through
individual study and participation in programs providing relevant
information, such as those sponsored by state and national
school board associations.
8. Support the employment of those best qualified to serve
on school staff and insist on regular and impartial evaluations
of all staff members.
9. Respect the confidentiality of information that is privileged
under applicable law or that is received in confidence or
in nonpublic session.
10. Recognize that no individual member has authority to speak
or act for the entire Board, except as specifically designated
to do so by Board action.
11. Recognize that final Board actions will be supported by
all members of the Board; do not speak against any majority
decision which was reached in good faith; take no private
action that will compromise or undermine official actions
of the Board or administration.
12. Avoid conflicts of interest.
13. Display and demonstrate courtesy and decorum toward fellow
Board members at all public meetings and in all public statements.
ADOPTED: 11 November 1993
REVISED: 12 November 1998
REVISED: 23 October 2008